Calling for innovative ocean-minded startups
OceanHub Africa is launching the fourth cohort of its eight-month online incubation program to support up to ten of Africa’s most promising impact-for-profit startups focused on preserving and restoring the health of the ocean, while developing equitable and sustainable livelihoods.
The accelerator is on a mission to support ocean-minded startups with the express aim of nurturing an environmentally conscious and profitable economy that effectively mitigates the effects of global warming as well as the overexploitation and pollution of the ocean. Leveraging its highly qualified network of stakeholders and facilitators, it will deliver to the accelerated startups a program that seeks out sustainable pathways yielding stable profits (ROIs) and avenues for scalable growth throughout Africa.
What You Can Expect
Becoming part of OceanHub Africa portfolio will allow you to
What We Offer
Our Selection Criteria
- 31 March–14 May: Application period
- 7 April-20 May: Screening of the applications
- 24 May: Announcement of short-listed start-ups
- 25 May – 3 June: Virtual pitching of shortlisted candidates
- 14-15 June: Pitching session in front of the final selection committee
- 15 June: Final selection and announcement to Selection Committee.
- 18 June: Public announcement of start-ups selected
- 6 July: Program starts for 8 months
- 9-13 October: In-person Bootcamp in an in-person capital city (TBA)
- Graduation will take place during the next Ocean Innovation Africa Summit (exact date to be confirmed)
What we expect from entrepreneur(s):
- Availability (at least 1.5 full-time equivalents dedicated to the project).
- Transparent communication and cooperation.
- 2 key C-level team members minimum involved in the acceleration program.
- Commitment to cover the traveling cost of 1 representative for the in-person bootcamp in an African capital city (air transport and visa).
- Reporting to OceanHub Africa and to other stakeholders.
- Success fees of up to 3% on the next fundraising (over the duration of the program + 2 years) and success fees of up to 10% on commercial contract obtained through OHA’s introductions.